Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

A Summary of Week Four


Honestly, this has not been the easiest week of my life. I am trying to engage my students into an activity that requires them to think. I want to teach them a skill that they will be able to use the rest of their academic life. I believe the ability to summarize is an efficient way to capture what is most important. We began by reading an article from "Time for Kids". We then used our highlighting tools in Word to highlight the Who, What, Where, When, and Why of the article. We then created a table and moved the information over. I thought this would be an easy lesson for them, however, most of them found it challenging and frustrating.

After four days of hard work, I thought we needed a "mental health" day so I introduced the students to Photo Booth. Photo Booth is an application found on the Mac computers that uses the built in i-Sight camera. Students just look into the lens, smile and click. The fun part is the effects that can be added. There were lots of giggles and wiggles going on today in room 301. Next, we took those photos and posted them on our blogs along with a fictional short story.
Here is the fun part, the students were all having such a great time, they did not even realize they were writing. What a great day! My favorite post of the day belongs to Michael R. What a great story he tells. You can read his story here.

NOTE: The site went down for repair during our 8th period so their blogs will not be posted until Monday.

Next week we will be starting our adventures into Power Point.
Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment