Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

The World through the Eyes of a Seventh Grader




This has been a fantastic week of learning in room 301. Honestly, when I began thinking about the digital photography unit a couple of weeks ago I was a bit apprehensive. I was comfortable in the technology side of projects but not the art side. I was having dinner with a good friend, Jill Fowler, who happens to be one of the best art teachers I have ever known and I asked her for some guidelines. Being the model educator that she is, she volunteered to come in and team-teach this project with me. ( Unfortunately, Mrs. Fowler has found herself unemployed because of budget cuts and I believe she was anxious to get back to see the kids that she loves so much.)

Jill spent one class period with the kids talking to them about how to take good photographs. One of my favorite quotes from her was "You will not find a yellow sticky note next to the good shots, you will need to open your eyes and look for them." We then had the students outside for two days and you will absolutely not believe the final projects these young students have produced. The best part of the day was when the students would run up to us and say "You will not believe the shot I got!"


You can view their photo slide shows on their wikipages located here.http://emscomputer10.wikispaces.com/StudnetsSemOne ( Period eight will not be posted until Monday.)


BONUS: If my son or daughter was taking photography like this in the seventh grade I would of wanted to frame some of their shots and hang them in my home. If you would like a digital copy of their work you can send in a flash drive or a blank CD/DVD and I will make sure you get them. You can then take them to Walmart or Walgreens to have them printed. What a great gift for Grandma and Grandpa.


No comments:

Post a Comment